Review Detail

Overall rating 

Miles/Kilometres on Pickup 

Location Convenience 

Staff / Quality of Service 

Vehicle Condition - Outside 

Vehicle Condition - Inside 

AVOID GOLDCAR! IT'S A SCAM!

Do yourself a favor and google 'goldcar review' before booking with them. Or look at twitter-account @GoIdcar_Victims.
We chose goldcar because rentalcars.com presented them as being the cheapest by far. It turned out to be a scam.
When we wanted to pick up the car at Palma de Mallorca airport we had to wait in line for 1,5 hours (on 10 april; low season).
We would have had to wait an hour longer if we hadn't used the "express lane". This cost us an additional €20,-. We were told that the queue is always that long, day and night.
The main reason it takes so long is because by the time it's your turn you're pressured aggressively and repeatedly to take the goldcar insurance that will set you back an extra €148.
They claim that the insurance bought online is not all-risk (which was not true). When we repeatedly said we were happy with our current insurance goldcar required a €1.200 surety on my creditcard. Ok. We also had to pay in advance for a full fuel tank. When dropping the car the remainder of the fuel would be repaid automatically.
As you may have guessed by now: nothing was repaid although fuel was left in the tank. No response to e-mail and twitter messages.
Still we feel we were lucky; we've read so many horror story online about these crooks that we count our blessings; many customers discovered strange credit card deductions by goldcar afterwards. This is the reason why only now, after receiving the final receipt of rentalcars.com, I feel save to write this review.
For an additional few bucks a day I would've preferred a real rental car company. Would have saved me a lot of time and aggravation. And stress afterwards, checking my credit card charges. I do not understand how goldcar is awarded a 7 on rentalcars.com, daughter of booking.com. What astonishes me the most is that this kind of 'service' still exists in 2015. How can it be that goldcar.com is still in business?

Service

Comments
Staff is rude, aggresive and unreliable.
Waiting for two hours to pick up the goldcar rental car...
Owner's reply
VictoriaR - Goldcar Customer Service VictoriaR - Goldcar Customer Service

Dear newhouse,

We are sorry to hear that your rental with us in Palma de Mallorca was not as expected. Please allow me to respond to your review point by point:

1) Please note that the prices advertised on our webpage and on brokers’ are only the basic rental charge. The only mandatory charge at destination is a full tank of fuel. This is common practice in the sector.

2) We do experience peak times during high season, especially if two flights overlap due to delays. This is intensified by the lack of knowledge regarding the car rental procedure. We are trying to solve this by opening auxiliary offices and explaining the process in detail when and where possible. In any case, you shouldn’t have had to wait so long in the Priority Check-in line; please send me your contract number at [email protected] and I will look into a refund.

3) Our basic coverage always contemplates an excess (please copy/paste the following link on your browser for screenshots of our webpage during the booking process and of our T&Cs: http://bit.ly/1F6S83R, http://bit.ly/1JH9t4x). If customers have third party coverage, they can request a refund from them in case of damages, although it is never as comprehensive as our own additional coverage.

4) You should have been refunded for unused fuel, that it is highly irregular. I will make sure you are refunded when I receive your contract number.

Please note that our prices are among the most competitive in the rental-car sector; offering +37,000 vehicles in offices in Spain, Andorra, Portugal, Italy, Malta and Morocco, serving more than 1 million customers a year (less than 1% of which complain online). Most negative reviews online are outdated; we have considerably improved our services and polices since the beginning of 2014, and are continuing to do so. We are working very hard to constantly improve our services and it reflected by the fact that the vast majority of our customers are satisfied and return customers.

Kindest regards,
Victoria R.
Goldcar representative

Was this review helpful to you? 

Comments

2 results - showing 1 - 2  

Ordering 

Already have an account? or Create an account
newhouse Written by newhouse
May 19, 2015
Dear VictoriaR,

Thank you for your extensive reply. And kudos for the English! Very good.
Allow me to respond point by point.

1) Your explanation is clear. We experienced first hand the consequences of your basic rates. If I remember correctly we even had to pay €10 per day for the optional satelite navigation. Luckily we didn't need it since Mallorca is a small island :)

2) I disagee since it was not the high season; we picked the car on april 10. I repeat that the reason the queues are that long is because the goldcar staff take on average 15-20 minutes per client. At least 10 minutes of that time is devoted to frightening the clients of buying the goldcar coverage. If the client is intimidated into that, more time is needed to arrange the goldcar insurance. The bonusses for your staff most be very appealing! :)

3) Very informative. Next time I hire a car with you guys I'll make sure to read all the fine print! :)

4) 17 days after we returned the car Goldcar refunded the unused fuel. Unfortunately for me it still cost me money: €191 was deducted without explanation. Direct messages via Twitter learned that there was "a damage to the front bumper". Searching on twitter it seams half of you clients return the car with this type of damage :). After I hinted that I had proof that I returned the car with no such damage I got this reply:
"We ar going to refound you the 191€ because in the photo we cannot see fine the damage. Regards"
In the meantime I also started e-mailing your customer service. After three weeks I got a reply that explained the cost:
€220 (presumed damage) - €29 (fuel refund) = €191.
The refund itself also took a while. Via twitter DM I asked every other day for an update. Even threatened to send the 'credit card charge dispute form' that I already received from my bank.
Two weeks after it was promised the amount was finally refunded. Thank you Goldcar!

In closing I want take back that Goldcar doesn't reply to e-mail and twitter messages. Especially on Twitter Goldcar responds swiftly and correctly, even in direct messages. I must say your twitter staff does it best to salvage some of your online reputation :)

Kindest regards,
Newhouse
VictoriaR - Goldcar Customer Service Written by VictoriaR - Goldcar Customer Service
May 19, 2015
Dear Newhouse,

Thank you for your comments. Customer feedback and first-hand information is always useful for future customers.

Please note that a Priority Check-in service is available at a very reasonable extra fee.

Your encouragement is highly appreciated; we hope to be of service again soon!

Kindest regards,
Victoria
2 results - showing 1 - 2